Child Custody / Visitation
Big Firm Expertise. Small Firm Attention. Get a Consultation

Riverside Child Custody Lawyer

Experienced Child Visitation Rights Attorneys

If you are a parent going through a divorce, who gets the children is likely your top priority. Unfortunately, this is often the most heated issue in a divorce. The good news is that a custody lawyer from our family law office in Riverside County is here to protect your rights!

Child's Preference in Custody Decisions in California

In California, a child can state their preference for custody if they are at least 14 years old. However, a judge can decide that it is not in the child's best interest to state their preference. Children over 14 years old have the right to choose which parent they would prefer to live with after the parents' divorce or separation.

When you work with the Albright Family Law Group, our custody attorneys will help you understand your options in family law matters. We promote mediation conferences out of court because it is often beneficial to come to an amicable agreement that is in the best interest of your children.

Call (951) 400-5273 today to speak with a Riverside child custody attorney.

Understanding Legal and Physical Custody in Riverside

There are two types of custody:

  • Legal custody, which refers to the decision-making aspects of parenting
  • Physical custody, which refers to living arrangements

In California, the court's main priority is promoting the relationship between each parent and child. It is typically in the children's best interests to have some form of visitation and custodial time with each parent, even if the visitation must be supervised.

Joint Legal and Sole Physical Custody: A Common Scenario

California's most common custody arrangement is joint legal custody with sole physical custody. One parent has primary physical custody for raising the child. Still, both parents have the legal right to decide about the child. 

So, you must contact a child custody attorney in Riverside County from our family law group immediately. 

Clarifying Custody vs. Visitation in Riverside County

When one parent is granted full or primary custody of their children, the other parent may have visitation or parenting time. 

Visitation means the parent can still visit/spend time with their child. The details will depend on the judge-ordered visitation schedule in Riverside County.

Please note: While visitation is usually granted to the parent without primary physical custody, this is not always the case. In most cases, the family court will schedule a mediation or Child Custody Recommending Counseling appointment for parents to work out a parenting plan that is in the children's best interest and promotes a healthy relationship with each parent.


Ready to get started? Book Your Consultation with a Riverside Visitation Lawyer today.

Common Questions and Answers Regarding Child Custody and Visitation

Do we have to go to court to make custody orders?

No. You can come to your own agreement in writing and submit it to the court for review and signing. Once the judge signs it, it becomes an order of the court.

My ex has been absent and does not have contact with me or our child. Do we still have to share legal custody?

You can request that the court award you sole legal custody. 

At your hearing, you will be required to provide evidence as to why you should have sole legal custody. Based on your evidence and arguments, the court will determine if you will be awarded sole legal custody.

Can child custody and visitation orders be changed once approved by the judge?

Yes. Custody and visitation orders are always modifiable. You can file a motion with the court requesting a modification of orders

Also, parents can prepare an agreement to modify the orders. In most cases, the court will adopt your agreement. You most likely will not have to go to court if you come to an agreement.

What are the chances of a father getting 50/50 custody in California?

Fathers are not entitled to a 50/50 custody split or any specific custody arrangement in California. However, 50/50 custody is shared in California, and the state tries to promote it when possible. The family courts here usually want both parents to be involved in their kids' lives unless there's a good reason not to.

My husband and I are separated. We do not have court orders for custody and visitation. He was recently involved in a DUI. He has threatened to take the children from my home. What can I do to assure that this does not happen?

There are a few options available for you. 

You can request an emergency hearing, as well as sole legal and physical custody of your children. You can also request supervised visitations if you feel that your children are in danger. 

You will typically get a hearing the same day as filing (Orange and Los Angeles counties) or within 24 hours of filing (Riverside and San Bernardino counties).

Our Riverside Child Custody Lawyer is Ready to Assist You

Riverside County is committed to ensuring all children have a safe and stable home environment. When making child custody decisions, the court will consider all relevant factors, including the child's best interests.

Suppose you are involved in a child custody dispute in Riverside County, CA. Consulting with an experienced family law attorney is essential in that custody case. A family law attorney can help you understand your rights and options and represent you in court to protect your child's best interests.

  • “From the bottom of my heart, I am truly appreciative not to mention extremely satisfied with how Shauna Albright had a whole team on my case as if it was her own!”
  • “Received a very informative consultation from Attorney Ms. Albright, who was very honest and helpful with my questions concerning my divorce!”
  • “This law firm is the best! The attorneys and staff helped me with my custody case.”
  • “I cannot speak more highly of this team. Attorney Brandy Tristao stepped in at the tail end of an already long and drawn out divorce.”
  • “Brandy Tristao has been my attorney during my divorce this past year. She always listened and provided sound advice.”
  • “I cannot say enough good things about Shauna and her team, if you are looking for a great family law attorney she is the only one to call.”
  • “If you need family law representation do not hesitate to contact this law firm. Simply the best!!!”
  • “She did everything she said she would, in a timely fashion.”

Offering Clear, Effective, & Trustworthy Legal Solutions We’re Here For You

Contact Us Today
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy